Friday, December 18, 2009

Festivity Fun

Ahh...the holiday season it brings on an increased sense of euphoric jubilee! Thus leading me to do things I otherwise would not. For example...

1)Forgetting that I come from a long line of women who hate to cook. (Can you blame them? My grandma was cooking for 9 kids and my mom was cooking for the world's pickiest eaters) I have made a giant batch of cereal treats, 5 loaves of lemon bread and now I'm on to my latest disaster cinnamon/swirl cookies. Really, what was I thinking? The cookies are what did me in. Horrible recipe that sticks, sticks, sticks and then they want you to roll it into an 8"x12" log. Ha! I had a crazy burst of festive madness on that log and beat it into wooden-rolling-pin submission! I may have to eat these cookies myself since they could be spreading around bad karma, with their ill-wrought origin.

2)Buying unfamiliar or unnecessary products with the intention of being "fancy." I'm a vanilla girl, an imitation vanilla girl at that. So, in light of my jubilancy, I bought vanilla EXTRACT. Oh my! Whoooeee! I took one whiff and had to read the label. WHAT I had really purchased was 35% alcohol. Happy cookies to me! AM I the only one who didn't know that's what extract means in vanilla? Santa would you like your sugar cookies with a vanilla chaser?

3)Failing to remember necessities. One year, which my family (of ribbons, wrapping,and bags genes) will never let me live down, was the year I thought I had Christmas paper only to realize I was sadly mistaken. Hence a trip to Home Hardware, where else do you go in a one-horse town, to buy wrapping paper? Only to discover that I was the last person on Christmas Eve to buy such an integral piece of the holidays and my choices were Sponge Bob or hmm Sponge Bob. Ohhhh who lives in a pineapple under the TREE? On the plus side, I didn't need to include tags that year. Not that I do anyway. My beloved Sharpie works just fine and I save some trees.

My list could continue but now it's your turn to share in the madness. What is your Festivus "mess"tivus? (Yes I know it's cheesy, but I just had to throw festivus in there somewhere.)

6 comments:

  1. My motto would be...
    festivius mess-less-tivius!

    I don't bake holiday treats anymore...
    WW has fixed that.

    This year is the first ever that I have been ready for Christmas before December 15th and I am loving every moment. Even the packages are all wrapped. Tony will be working Christmas... so we will see all the kids Christmas Eve... so I won't even have a bunch of Christmas unwrapping to clean up.

    But I just want to say...
    Merry Christmas!

    ToOdLeS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (large breath taken) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I don't have messtives but aunt pat NEVER had scotch tape on christmas eve, so she would come get granny's or use masking tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I said I don't have messtives I meant I haven't yet had them! Not that I'm so prepared I avoid them, I have just so far been lucky!!
    I'm waiting for the day something blows up or disappears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, we're doing cookie baking tomorrow - I don't need to make very many and plan on sticking with easy things like chocolate dipped pretzels. However, my sister has declared she needs to make 18 plates and wants to make very time consuming items. She's makes a horrible mess of the kitchen. And my mom will be making tamales while we bake. Did I mention what a disaster my kitchen is going to be after tomorrow?!?

    Tin foil works great for wrapping paper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. too many to count.

    but i do love my sharpie. who uses tags? less creative people i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was so darn funny! I'm still chuckling. Man I miss seeing you all the time.

    ReplyDelete