Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Top 3 Most Humiliating Sundays

In order

#1 Turning 12 is landmark. No longer a little primary child. The bishop calls you up to the front of the congregation you stand in front of everyone and are graduated from the ranks of childhood to Young Women's. It's terrifying and wonderful all at the same time. Well, I was so mature and wise and ready for this momentous occasion that after going back to sit by my family I slapped my sister for sitting in my seat,
right
in
front
of
EVERYONE!
Then I realized what I did and burst into tears of sorrow and humiliation, hyperventilated and had such an awful come-apart my mother had to take me home. Yay for being a big 12-year-old!

#2 After church we stopped by my granny's and she loaded us up with a pan full of half-frozen meat. (Okay I just read that sentence and I realize it may be hard to explain-so I'm not going to.) All you need to know is that it was a VERY blustery day and cold and did I mention I was holding a ginormous slab of frozen cow bloodily defrosting in a pan. Oh yes, I think I did say that. Anyway, as I step out of the car in my own driveway I realize two things...
1-it is not a good day to wear a broomstick skirt (remember those) with only boots. No tights, no slip, not even socks. Just boots
and
giant, blue, granny panties
that were on display for the teenage boys sitting in the car behind me.
Thanks to mother nature's hurricane like wind conditions, my skirt was blown completely over my head and
2-thanks to the meat pan I had no hands to save my dignity. The boys collected a lot more than a charitable contribution that day.

#3
Today
Everything wrapped up a little early in church and by default I had to play the closing hymn. Which was fine, until the book closed halfway through the song, while everyone was singing. I then became so nervous I started shaking like a leaf and lost control of my fingers and then the book closed again. Talk about a train wreck. I don't even know if I played half of the notes right. I had to stop between verses and find my place in the confounded book. I wished for a sink-hole to open up and deposit me and the piano a couple of feet beneath the congregation at least then I could have been justified in my disaster. The irony of it all? Guess what the song was?
Let us All Press On

haha

I can laugh at the above two but don't speak to me of number 3. It took at least 15 years for the other two incidents to marinate into humor and I'm thinking it will take that long before I can press on.

If you care to share your humiliating moment go ahead, but if its still marinating, let it.

3 comments:

  1. After you told me that story earlier I started to remember it!!! I also remember, instead of you getting in trouble for *B* slapping me in the middle of church, everyone was worried about your hysterical melt down and I got in trouble for crying about my smarting cheek. What justice is there in the world!!

    And I had the skirt over the head problem too. Twice. Once in front of my uncle by marriage!! I guess he know me a little better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once threw up in primary. Yes, I was only a sunbeam, but still so dramatic. I didn't go back for at least a month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a crap in the middle of the road in front of the mitchells house when I was about 6 yrs. old because I couldnt make it home and theresa mitchell came running out of her house with toilet paper yelling "wait wait wait"...hahaha! Hey...at least it wasn't in the pants!

    ReplyDelete