About once a year I bite the bullet and clean out my car. I see it mostly as hopeless task, which is why I only do it once or maybe twice (in a good year.) I had a problem with cluttered car syndrome even before I had children, the problem has only been amplified by the needy little creatures who require their equal weight in baggage, even if you are only going to the grocery store! So with the fear of being redundant (remember my couch about a year ago?) here is what I found, and yes it is shocking, alarming and somewhat impressive...
3 Bracelets-when I drive I tend to discard jewelry, it gets in the way
2 Clothespins-I think they were left over from the pomegranate festival where I had a booth selling tutus
Duct Tape-its multiple uses extend to the automobile, for example if I ever need to restrain a carjacker or repair my bumper-good to go
Shoe Polish-goodness I think that has been in there since my sister's wedding in 2005.
Womanly supplies-yeah every woman needs her goods in her car, or you end up wearing a diaper home from a shopping trip, that's a story for another day.
Birth Charts-in case I forget how much my child weighs or need to know in an emergency their head circumference. haha
6 Books-I like to read
Magic Wand-useful for casting spells on offensive drivers
Old Camera- huh?
Purse-my daughter's
Rattle-obviously we know why that's in there
Air filter-hmmm need to get that to where it belongs
2 Coats-the weather can be so unpredictable you know 115 one day 105 the next
Sweater-see above
Monkey hot pad-I think this was used to transport food a couple of years ago
2 Diaper bags-one is strictly for church one is for every day wear
2 strollers-one is a jogging stroller and it only makes an appearance in the car occasionally the other is my "mall" stroller and its permanent home is the car. I have no other place to put it
3 camp chairs-these are constantly being utilized for various outdoor activities
Hot dog roaster-I was wondering where that went to
2 Raouuuul blankets-they are good for transporting/wrapping up furniture etc. and the quality one's can only be purchased in Mexico out of the back of Raouuuul's van
Snowboard-goodness you must be amazed by my vehicles load capacity by now
BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE-hopefully you are not bored by now but I can understand if you are still reading strictly due to morbid curiosity
Kitty pillow-induces sleepiness and is therefore necessary for road trips with toddlers
Jean blanket-for picnics
Boxes-free around Christmas time from the Post Office
Mystery Box-which is huge and I use for various teaching assignments to build children's interest in whatever mundane thing I am about to introduce to them
3 pairs of shoes-due to the fact that my son can kick shoes into the trickiest cracks where they disappear, amongst other things, into the "abyss"
Rug-I think I was going to take it back and never did
Instructions to my dishwasher-what??? Didn't even know I had any let alone was storing them in my CAR????
2 Shopping basket covers-shopping baskets strike fear into my heart almost more than public restrooms
2 phone bills-I think I intended to pay them in person but ended up doing it online
A monkey-don't worry it's not real
A writing tablet-where I began recording this madness
Spanish Scriptures-my husband leaves his church equipment in my car Monday morning because he doesn't want his car to be "cluttered up."
2 Gospel Doctrine Manuals-see above
Rocks-it's inevitable when you live in the country
Color swatches-par for the course
Tree-hehehe just an air freshener, but at this point you are ready to believe anything huh?
Moldy sippy cup-ewww there is a difference between clutter and nastiness and I draw the line at the latter, even I have limits
Giant Lollipop-that came in really handy when we were stuck on the freeway for 3 HOURS!!!
Christmas cards-I'm festive
Ball-that would be my son
WHEWWW thanks for staying with me. Pat yourself on the back you made it through the list. And just so you know I did this in April/Mayish so some of that stuff seasonally makes more sense. We were outdoors a lot in the spring. I don't think of myself as an unorganized mess. My lawn is kept, my children are groomed but the car is my closet/black-hole/weakness I'm always in a hurry/late and throwing things in the car but obviously not throwing things out of the car. UNTIL I crack and can't find my, hmmm lets say snowboard, because it is buried somewhere in the disaster of my car. I think I'm making myself a target for all kinds of crime scenarios. ANYWAY, since this infamous cleansing I strive to be better and realized I truly did/do have a problem and am dealing with it. My car has been much better it's currently only sporting the bare essentials, a few toys and a diaper bag, but sometimes I miss having every thing you would ever need at the tip of my fingers. Oh yes and I do have the best cargo space in my gas-guzzling SUV ever, in case you were ever in doubt. I could never go back to a car. Where would I put my stroller? Not to mention my children? hehehe
So, what do you have in your car? And if it's nothing more than a pack of tic-tacs please go do me a favor and throw in a random basket of clutter so I will feel better about myself.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice!
ReplyDeleteMy car does have a tendency to collect things. I've started putting bags in the back to collect the various toys that get left behind. And I'm working on a 72 hour emergency kit for the car, too! Once we had to evacuate our home in a moment's notice and the pack came in handy but it's a bit out of date so I'm updating it. Sounds like a blog posting, huh?
Thanks for sharing!
I TRY to keep the car clean. (try the opperative word) BUT for some reason I ALWAYS have a case of water bottles and a jean blanket in the car. It seems if the water bottles get taken into the house, I must quickly go to the store and replace them!! I don't use them until they're inside, I don't know why I obsessively need them there!!
ReplyDeleteWeirdest thing I ever found in there: tweezers. Why? I like to sit in the natural light of the car to pluck!!
my car is too small to house too many things. i find used floss in it all the time though. don't ask how i floss and drive at the same time.....i can't stand food lodged in my teeth!
ReplyDeletequestion, did you wear the diaper BEFORE or AFTER i confessed of doing the same thing?
ReplyDeletei love the list. you are so fun to read, really, you are!