Here are a few handy hints to help you on your way. You may have no use for them but find them inspiring nonetheless...
Tip 1:
To Remove Crayon from practically any hard surface, and yes even painted surfaces, WD-40 it. My grandpa also used to swear by this method for relieving arthritic joint pain but I have yet to need it for this purpose. Come back in 35-40 years and we'll be on Helpful Hints Part 100 and I'll let you know.
Tip 2:
Winning the battle of laundry soap vs. HE washing machine. My washing machine is tricky, once I put in the clothes and the soap it will not operate unless the lid is closed and locked. Eliminating any peeking or last minute sock finds. I don't even have a window to ensure its actually working I just have to trust in Whirlpool. SO when I use liquid soap that comes out of the giant, 1million load capacity, comes-with-its-own-spicket bottle, I can't rinse the lid in the machine and replace it, leading to build-up of laundry soap, EVERYWHERE Okay now I'm getting to the point/hint, just throw the cap in the machine, it comes out fine every time and no more soap wasting or mess. WALLAH! (Just don't put it in the dryer, it won't melt but it makes a loud thunking noise that is slightly alarming.)
Tip 3
I have a plant named Edgar, he is a miracle. I've never kept a plant alive for more than a month, but Edgar has been with me for two years now. I'm forgetful about watering. I'm impatient with watering. I hate sitting there waiting for the water to soak in and then refilling, etc. So now I stick 3 ice cubes on Edgar when he's looking droopy and he perks right up! Watering house plants with ice cubes is GENIUS!
Tip 4
This is in case you can't find the WD-40 (because you've been using it in a strange place to remove crayon) If your doors creak, to the point that when you go to the bathroom you wake up the entire household in the middle of the night, take cooking spray such as PAM to them. I learned this one through desperation this winter, when every time I would open a door my baby would start howling. It doesn't make for the best dusting experience however.
Tip 5
If your crock pot has had one too many science experiments in it, maybe that's only me, and no matter how well you've scrubbed it the heating part smells like wet dog every time you fire it up, plug it in outside on the BBQ. My BBQ is conveniently located by my back door and has sides to it that allow for the weight of my crock pot to cozily cook away all day! It also helps that the outdoor outlet is close too, but if not use an extension cord. You may not have canine wafts coming from your crock pot but if your cooking something extra strong on the nose this would also be beneficiary. Think any recipe that includes vinegar, lots of onions, or cabbage you get the idea.
Feel free to contribute helpful hints or feel inspired by one of the above. Let us know how we can better serve you.
Monday, May 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Re1: I needed that. If you can imagine. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteRe2: I don't have soap like that, but if I did, I would do that.
Re3: Edgar must be the happiest plant in Clark County with his roots all "fresco" in the Summer!
Re 4: I have been wondering about that, because I have the exact same problem! Door, and baby. I don't know where man things like WD40 are even kept in this house, but I can locate the Pam. However, now I am going to have to track down the WD for my walls...
Re 5: My crock pot doesn't stink, but, what do you cook with vinegar, onions and cabbage? It sounds good. I need new crock pot recipes! I love having dinner ready when we get home from church, but I only know like one dish to cook in it.
Thank goodness for blogging, my across-the-chapel friend!
I bought an orchid and it said to water once a week with 3 ice cubes. Who knew? I'd never heard that before. I need to find the WD-40. My bedroom door is so squeaky.
ReplyDeleteHelpful hint: hairspray takes out ink.
ReplyDeleteIt is unfortunate that I had to learn this...