If people from Asia are called: Asians
and people from Mexico are called: Mexicans
and people from France are called: French
and people from Australia are called: Australian
Why are white Americans called: Caucasian?
I'm not from Caucasia!! I'm from Nevada! So should I be a Nevadian? Or an Overtonite?
I think my blood line comes from a little bit of every where!! I think my mom's ancestors came over on the Mayflower, why doesn't that just makes me American? If the Indian tribes are Native Americans, could I be a Not-So-Native-But-Close-American? I think the next time the census comes around they should a Heinz 57 box to check under the race question. Because I think that is the one I should mark!!
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We're waiting for the US government to come banging at our door because we wrote in for race "American".
ReplyDeleteFrom Teddy Roosevelt. From a speech he gave in 1919:
‘In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
Hopefully, this quote is not intended as a racist comment as that is not my intention. I am tired of "race" - we are all Americans.
I'm going to go with Ancient-European-American. That should cover just about most of it.
ReplyDeleteHeinz 57 works for me...
ReplyDeleteI totally agree... I am not from caucasia either.
ToOdLeS.