Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Question I Hate the Most

Why does it seem that no matter where I go, friend and stranger alike ask me the same question, "Don't you just love being a Mom?" I HATE this question. Really, what am I going to say? No? I love being pooped on, spit on, bit and clawed. I love getting up multiple times all night long and waking up at 5 AM. Now, I love my daughter very much and she is the best thing to ever happen to me. I cherish her above all other things.... BUT! She is NOT easy!! She is intense and stubborn and crazy!! (I can't imagine who she inherited this attitude from.) I will admit that every day is NOT a stroll down happy lane. So why do people ask this question? What do they really think they are going to get as an answer? One of these days I'm going to say no (although I wouldn't mean it) just to see the look on their face!!
Second question- "What are you doing to that baby" as my child is hysterically screaming her head off in public. I have a rather unfortunate story to go with this one. Ella had an attack of awful diarrhea. She was crying so pathetic and had gone through 10 diapers in less than an hour. I had to go to the grocery store because I only had 1 or 2 left and I didn't know how long it would last. SO I walk into an extremely crowded Lin's at 5 o'clock. Every line is packed 6 people deep, the place is a complete mad house. Ella has pooped yet again on the way to the store and is screaming because her little bum hurts. I'm standing in line, tears fighting their way to my eyes, my daughter clinging to me, her head buried in my neck, sobbing. I finally get to the head of the line and trying to pay while juggling my wallet and child. The older woman behind me finally couldn't seem to help herself. With an awful sneer she asks, "What are you doing to that baby?" At what I am assuming was an attempt at humor. I turned to this woman with a look on my face that would have stopped Satan dead in his tracks. I informed her that the last thing I need today was a critical, judgemental, old woman to mock me in public. I told her I was sorry that my sick infant was screaming and disrupting the peace of her shopping trip. (Meanwhile entire store gets quiet. I think I got a little loud)I then informed her of what I thought of her attitude and where she could take with it. I marched from the store to complete silence and no regret.
*Note* I can really be quite nasty if provoked.

5 comments:

  1. Miss Joshlyn.

    I will try never to provoke you as it sounds like that may be hazardous to my health. Ü Seriously those have to be the most stupid questions... EVER!!!

    Sometimes I think Mother's need personal shoppers... wouldn't that be fun. However, its not likely. If personal shoppers were available no doubt it would cost more than we would want to pay... and so we suffer silently... and sometimes not so silently.

    This post made my day...
    sorry it did not do the same for you.

    I sure like your blah, blah, blahg. I am gonna have some of my bloggy-buddies head on over here to have a good read... and dole out some sympathy.

    ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

    ps. You would have fun taking part in NOT ME MONDAY... it is a fun way of being brutally honest about reality.
    http://www.mycharmingkids.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heck!

    I got so confused.
    2 contributors to this blog...
    I even thought while reading... Ella that is Ashley's baby... maybe joshlyn is watching her niece.

    Silly me...
    Open mouth insert foot
    not the first time... won't be the last.

    Let me ammend this...

    Ashley...
    YOU crack me up. YOU are freakin' hilarious.

    Sorry for the mistake. I will make sure to watch to see who is publishing what.

    ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...I remember those days.

    Geez, I just made myself sound like a blue-haired, support-hose wearin' geriatric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't you love it? My hate question is "does she always suck her fingers" YES!!!

    ReplyDelete