Friday, December 14, 2012

Pants in Church

My intentions are not to turn this blog into a feminist ranting outlet, it just so happens I don't feel comfortable writing this on my family blog and unfortunately my last post 6 months ago happened to be on the same thing.  The two times I write in a year are on the same topic, yes, I must be a little impassioned.  The idea of women with pants on in church will do that to a nice mormon girl, even in she has feminist tendencies.

Wearing pants to church is pointless.  Let me explain: there is movement popping up on Facebook for women to wear pants this Sunday to church in order to protest against the church's "unwillingness to recognize similarities between men and women."  Wear whatever the hell you want to church.  I'm absolutely positive many a woman's pant suits are way dressier than the horrible, raggedy, cliche, denim bags you all know what I am talking about, complete with an equally hideous pair of ratty, old sandals.  The women who are pushing this agenda are stuck in their Utah bubble, even in my predominantly LDS community there is normally a woman in church wearing pants, no one banishes them or asks them about women's rights.  When my husband and I were serving in a specific demographic group of the valley we saw a lot of women in their best and that meant pants, and sometimes for the men it meant a dressy Corona shirt.  Don't judge.  I had a friend there who is a non-member and he felt accepted and was pretty sure if that would have been his wife's ward he could have gone every week and felt comfortable.  Whoever thought Corona could be a missionary tool?   That being said, I however will not be wearing anything less than a dress, tights and heels.  My granny would roll over in her grave otherwise.  However, on a more serious note I feel it is respectful and appropriate to dress in such a way.  I go to church to honor my Heavenly Father not to make political or personal statements.  I loathe the idea of wearing pants in a rebellious nature, ultimately against my God who has given my everything.

But wait there's more...

The Christmas season is upon us.  I feel more peaceful and feel closer to my Savior at this time of the year than during any other month.  There truly is a special feeling in the air and maybe a little craziness too and thats all right.  Last night when I made the mistake of checking in with the world, I felt that spirit  pop like a big, shiny red balloon.  The adversary is cunning.  Everyone is up in arms (one way or another) about this little bruhawhaw and do you think anyone is thinking of the joy of Christ's birth?  I do not appreciate the distraction of church/pants wearing taking away from a sacred holiday.

And lastly, (holy crap it sounds like I am making up words now)I can't support a cause I feel there is not a true need behind.  Women in the church do not have the same  opportunities of men.  I am okay with that.  I have seen what is required by those men and their families who hold leadership callings and it is no small task.  I do not wish for that.  Women who do, all I can say is what you already know, this is a test and trial of faith.  The church does not put down women.  The more you learn, the more you know applies here.  I think of the Book of Mormon prophet Jacob, 500 years B.C. (mind you, way before suffragists), who rebuked the men of the church and showed love and support to those women who had been hurt by the unrighteous choices of their husbands.  "The world's greatest champion of woman and womanhood is Jesus the Christ."-James E. Talmage

That is why you will not see me in a pair of pants on Sunday.  I will not judge you if you are wearing your pants.  However, I certainly will not be supporting your cause.

3 comments:

  1. Ummmm....I'm sorry, whether the "feminists" like it or not, men and women are not created equal. I don't have a penis and my husband doesn't have a vagina. And there's a reason for that. Amen to your whole article sister, A to the men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, horrible cause, horrible timing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's obvious that the person/people who started this "movement" have no concept whatsoever of the covenants made in the temple.
    I think I almost feel sad for them. They are deluded.

    ReplyDelete