Saturday, September 4, 2010

Things only a resident of Moapa Valley would understand

Some people do not realize that living in this desert is not so much a life style but a survival experience. Only those who have lived here will understand my list!

1. The Cement Dance. Convincing yourself that you don't need to shoes to run to the trash can outside, or to the car really quick, or to take someone the phone outside; only to realize your bare feet are in danger of suffering 3rd degree burns from the hot concrete. You dart from shade spot to shade spot, wincing and hopping from foot to foot and even trying to walk on different parts of your feet.

2. Thinking 90 degrees feels like Fall. This people is just sad.

3. Changing of the leaves. This event equals when all the leaves only turn brown and DIE!

4. Traffic jam is a tractor holding everyone up on main street.

5. Cannon fire is not a frightening thing. On Friday night the sound of an ear splitting boom is not unusual. It's our high school's way of celebrating a touchdown.

6. People STILL accidentally call your mother by her maiden name. And on the rare occasion, your granny.

7. You are related to almost everyone in your high school... some how.

Can anyone relate to this?

2 comments:

  1. I must have grown up here... I totally get this... unfortunately.

    I am not related to everyone... but the whole maiden name thing still goes... 'Hey Murry Girl' heard that a million times since graduation a million years ago.

    ToOdLeS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh don't we live in a quaint little place? You know what's funny, is I remember mom always calling my friends' moms by their maiden name and thinking who? huh? but know I do it all the time with my "contemporaries" and katie never knows who the crap I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete