I was not a little girl that liked playing dolls and mothering games. My Barbie was a single woman, Canadian Veteran of War. (That's a story for another post.) I got a concussion in a high school sewing class from accidentally slamming my head into the machine. I refused to learn to cook until I was about 20 and starving in college. My life has changed in so many ways. I think I've evolved, not changed for better or worse, just evolved. However, I am definitely more "domesticated" now and this is how I know...
1)I subscribe to magazines that deal with organization, so far no results, but a few good ideas. I think to achieve organization nirvana you have to be childless or an insomniac.
2)There is a pot of basil growing in my windowsill that I mist daily. I've also kept a house plant alive for two years now!
3)I garden and landscape and actively care/pray my plants and lawn will thrive. Yellow grass reduces me to tears. Secretly I garden so I can have an excuse to chop, I mean prune, plants. There is something very satisfying about pruning and weeding. Whenever I feel rageful I weed.
4)I have cats! (It sounds like a disease, they kind-of are.)
5)I follow blogs about cooking and prepare meals with ingredients that include lots of BUTTER.
AND much to my husband's scoffing and laughter I take pictures of my masterpiece's.
6)My source of exercise includes water aerobics. Anything with the word 'aerobics' in it conjures up images of housewife's in the 80's high stepping to Locomotion. Doesn't it? At least I don't wear spandex or leg warmers, my Modbe swimming suit is waaaaay more awesome.
7)This year I entered a craft fair. 'Nuff said.
8)I make girlie things for my daughter like hair bows. Complete with silk flowers, feathers, sparkles etc.
Who would have thought? At the rate I'm going by the age of 60 I'll be surrounded in needlecraft and teaching relief society courses on home and gardening improvement. One can only dream!
How have you become domesticated?
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
in august i'm teaching a lesson of family mealtime.
ReplyDeleteenough said.
ps-next aerobics class we should totally wear thong unitards. yes.
Joshlyn,
ReplyDeleteremind me not to drop you off or pick you up at that aerobics class of wearing thong unitards.
First... if I ever catch you in a thong unitard, I will have brent take you to the the pysc hospital in Henderson!!
ReplyDeleteNEXT... I amorganized but I blame that on my OCD :)
NEXT... I have signs of domestication: I use house hold items as tools, I think it's important to have my bed made, and I use my wet thumb to wipe my daughters face!!
Love the photo of you two. I have one of these photos still around in an album.
ReplyDeleteI never took a home ec class. Mrs. Grow loved my sis and said she was one of her best students. She became the career woman. Me, I never took those classes because I was too busy studying to be the career woman. Now I'm the stay-at-home mom. Go figure.
But I taught myself to sew and knit. And my house is decently organized thanks mostly to a husband that helps a lot in that department. But our efforts are often confounded by the toddler's help. Time for that when we're empty nesters.